BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: Faction Points Alternative  (Read 724 times)

spocklin

Faction Points Alternative
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:30:41 AM »
I would like to see a setting where factions that have no active members for one month are disbanded and all of there stuff is unfactioned. I am not totally sure how this is done but I have seen it on several other servers.

Kreeture

Re: Factions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:32:17 AM »
Losing faction points from lack of online members and having their home base become vulnerable isn't enough?

spocklin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:06:55 AM »
Well it would be to reduce on the number of inactive 1-man factions that plague the faction list with lag.

Kreeture

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:22:09 AM »
I've yet to experience lag while looking at the faction list, hopefully some other members will chime in with their experiences.

ErthParadine

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
If there's performance issues, please reach out to Schine with details.

As for expiring factions. My underlying goal would be to encourage player participation - although at the same time, I don't want to punish pilots that haven't logged-in for a few weeks (real-life does have is distractions). Now, on the timelines of 6+ months, totally idle factions do need to start losing things, IMHO.

Darwynn

Faction Points Alternative
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 06:12:05 AM »
I propose gaining faction points for owning territory and not for player count in faction.

here is an example of the way to change the config:

<Faction>

<FactionActivity>
      <BasicValues>
         <SetInactiveAfterHours>48</SetInactiveAfterHours>
         <SetActiveAfterOnlineForMin>2</SetActiveAfterOnlineForMin>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionActivity>

<FactionSystemOwnerBonus>
      <BasicValues>
         <MiningBonusOwner>1</MiningBonusOwner>
         <MiningBonusOthers>1</MiningBonusOthers>
         <MiningBonusUnowned>1</MiningBonusUnowned>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionSystemOwnerBonus>

<FactionPointGeneral>
      <BasicValues>
         <FactionPointDeathProtectionMinutes>5</FactionPointDeathProtectionMinutes>
         <IncomeExpensePeriodMinutes>60</IncomeExpensePeriodMinutes>
         <InitialFactionPoints>500</InitialFactionPoints>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionPointGeneral>

<FactionPointIncome>
      <BasicValues>
         <GainedPerMember>0</GainedPerMember>
         <GainedPerOnlineMember>1</GainedPerOnlineMember>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionPointIncome>

<FactionPointSpending>
      <BasicValues>
         <BasicFlatCost>10</BasicFlatCost>
         <SpentAbsoluteForDeath>10</SpentAbsoluteForDeath>
         <SpentForDeathMultByMemberCount>2</SpentForDeathMultByMemberCount>
         <SpentPerControlledSystem>-10</SpentPerControlledSystem>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionPointSpending>

<FactionPointGalaxy>
      <BasicValues>
         <FreeHomeBase>true</FreeHomeBase>
         <PenaltyFromCenterMult>0.5</PenaltyFromCenterMult>
         <PenatlyPerDistanceUnitFromHomeBase>1</PenatlyPerDistanceUnitFromHomeBase>
         <ThresholdTakenRadiusForTradeGates>30</ThresholdTakenRadiusForTradeGates>
      </BasicValues>
   </FactionPointGalaxy>

</Faction>

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:37:20 PM by Darwynn »

Jackiechan64

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
Kreeture, there are penalties for not logging in? I work alot and cant login everyday, is it a daily effect? If we disband old factions, there stuff should be unfactioned i agree, right now it could be -10000 points and you get disbanded

Jackiechan64

Re: Faction Points Alternative
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
what would be the overall penalty for inactive members?

Darwynn

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:43:04 PM »
inactive members would not affect points.  but it would mean you have less people to help protect your territories

KillaKrazy

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:45 AM »
I vote for having FP generated from the amount of systems a faction owns.  That will give players a reason to expand and build outposts and stations other than the homebase.

Darwynn

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:28:22 AM »
Thank you

Saa

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »
I agree with this alternative. Having experienced it on EI, it seems far superior in terms of creating intrigue, interaction, alliances, and wars.

ErthParadine

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »
It has been a week. With no strong objections (nor suggested alternative methods) to the originally proposed idea, I'll make this happen by the next scheduled server restart.

A caveat though: based upon discussion threads elsewhere in the forums, I'm proposing the following adjustments.
  • Mining buffs: 96x for a faction's system, 18x for other factions, 9x for unowned
  • SetActiveAfterOnlineForMin: 10
  • GainedPerOnlineMember: 3

The objective is a gentle nudge towards teaming-up/cooperation: get some buddies together, and gain just a few more points every hour. This should help buff against deaths, griefing, etc. While still respecting the original objective of rewarding primarily for systems owned, and not for member counts (which is too easily manipulated by alts).

The mining bonus is obvious: we have lots of builders/miners around here, and encouraging system ownership for higher mining bonuses, seems aligned with the desires expressed in this thread, and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:20:40 PM by ErthParadine »

Saa

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
This is excellent news! I'm very excited.

On EI, another helpful function this system served was that inactive factions lost territory and therefore lost points far more quickly. Most small 1-2 man factions will be go into negative FP within a week or two and have their Homebases and system claims (gently & hygienically) removed by expansionist neighbors, opportunists and pirates. This keeps the galaxy dynamic, and avoids the common issue of 1/2 the claimed systems eventually being held by defunct factions long abandoned.

Thank you, Erth.

Sachys

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
  • Mining buffs: 96x for a faction's system, 18x for other factions, 9x for unowned

96x mining bonus?! - thats ridiculous - ABSOLUTELY ridiculous.

No need for any more than 25x for an owned system - people HAVE to put SOME effort into things - not getting enough from mining?! - build a BETTER miner - or a mining fleet, or trade some things.

These kind of freebies (along with the vote for credits) prevent player interaction - noboy is gonna run out of something and have to take a diplomatic route or risk a run through enemy territory to get what they need.

Also the other points arent clear to me at all.

ErthParadine

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 03:21:00 AM »
Alright - I'm going to apply the faction point changes at the next restart. Mining buffs will be sorted via another forum thread, and applied at a later point.