BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: Weapons Buffs  (Read 475 times)

ErthParadine

Weapons Buffs
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:52:40 AM »
Considering there's railguns which can fire at almost 2,500 meters/sec...the 1875m/s max in StarMade is a bit low.

How about 4,000 m/s for the max on a sniper rifle?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:58:15 PM by ErthParadine »

Captainairspeed

Re: Weapons Buffs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:36:13 AM »
I vote aye this would give battles a longer duration as it wouldnt be the usual close quaters brawls we have ussually so that we can get hits in we could actually use snipers that have a chance at hitting a moving target
I'll get around to doing It later right now I'm doing something else

ErthParadine

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 03:21:18 PM »
I vote aye this would give battles a longer duration as it wouldnt be the usual close quaters brawls we have ussually so that we can get hits in we could actually use snipers that have a chance at hitting a moving target

Yea, my thinking was making it easier to take out pirates, which seem to enjoy hitting from an annoyingly-far distance out.

Sachys

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
Whats the current max for missiles? - should maybe be 1.5 x that speed

Captainairspeed

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
its a shame we cant zoom in in Starmade that would make sniping more viable even if their was a computer or a special type of camera that gave you control over your zoom

KillaKrazy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

Yea, my thinking was making it easier to take out pirates, which seem to enjoy hitting from an annoyingly-far distance out.

The problem with the current AI set-up for pirates is that they fly out to the maximum range of the longest weapon.  Schine needs to fix the AI coding, until then I don't see how increasing the weapon speeds will do anything.

Nacon

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »
I found it personally very annoying that they keep their distance and fly sideways, short stopping every now then.

ErthParadine

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »

The problem with the current AI set-up for pirates is that they fly out to the maximum range of the longest weapon.  Schine needs to fix the AI coding, until then I don't see how increasing the weapon speeds will do anything.

Maximum range of the pirate's weapon, right? If so, then we can address this by reducing the range of beam weapons from a default of half-sector (2km w/ 4km sectors) to quarter-sector (2km with 8km sectors).

Just for kicks, I've just applied that to production - barring too many tears, we'll leave that in place.

KillaKrazy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
Pirates don't use beam weapons as most players ignore that beams even exists. You need to adjust the range of weapon x/beam distances to help fix the issue. Won't help solve the issue that pirate ships are coded to strafe the entire time. The second issue with pirates is that any ship under 5k mass completely ignore their weapons and bum rush your ship to no effect other than causing collision lag and frustration.

Sachys

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 11:30:18 PM »
Pirates don't use beam weapons as most players ignore that beams even exists. You need to adjust the range of weapon x/beam distances to help fix the issue. Won't help solve the issue that pirate ships are coded to strafe the entire time. The second issue with pirates is that any ship under 5k mass completely ignore their weapons and bum rush your ship to no effect other than causing collision lag and frustration.

Wouldnt adjusting beam weapons also affect salvage beams though? (and in doing so cause client side mining lag) - or am i misguided in that interpretation?

ErthParadine

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »

Hmm, when I moved beams down, pirates moved closer, and stayed there. I was in a core+thruster ship

Oh, and...
starmade-screenshot-0006.png
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:41:41 PM by ErthParadine »

ErthParadine

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »

Wouldnt adjusting beam weapons also affect salvage beams though? (and in doing so cause client side mining lag) - or am i misguided in that interpretation?

Nope, you're thinking of "SalvageBeam", I only adjusted "DamageBeam".

Sachys

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:06 PM »

Yet you said "beams" (I was also fearing for my cathedral in the void! ;D)

ErthParadine

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 01:24:57 AM »

Yet you said "beams" (I was also fearing for my cathedral in the void! ;D)

Well, I did say "beam weapons"  :-)

Although it would be kind of neat seeing pirates out salvaging and mining...but alas...pirates don't have salvage beams on their ships yet.

Sachys

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 01:59:33 AM »

Although it would be kind of neat seeing pirates out salvaging and mining...but alas...pirates don't have salvage beams on their ships yet.

Exactly: "salvage BEAM" (which is also a weapon when appiled man!) O____o~

ErthParadine

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 04:03:10 AM »

I am so tempted to spawn camp your station with a salvage beam turret.

Must. Resist. Urges...

Sachys

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »

I am so tempted to spawn camp your station with a salvage beam turret.

Must. Resist. Urges...

I think you wouldnt survive the onslaught of my... imaginary spiders! 

o___O

ErthParadine

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
One correction: I based max speed on an incorrect value published at https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Cannon_Computer  ...I've since updated the original posting with the true max speed of cannons.

ErthParadine

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
Oh, and *surprise*

Sniper Rifiles are already at 7,500 on our server, as our max speed is 300, and sniper rifle speed is basically derived from a multiple of max speed, basic & combo (beam) module's setting.

One thing is obvious though - y'all want faster sniper shots, so I've bumped things up to 11,250 m/s...which is roughly equal to Earth's escape velocity...wheeee!!!!

You guys are so funny 8)

(in all seriousness, I was basing math on some flawed assumptions originating from info on the SM Wiki...only realizing the discrepancy after I started picking apart actual config values. In true wiki fashion I've updated info on that site too - and encourage each of you to contribute there as well)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:57:01 PM by ErthParadine »

Captainairspeed

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 10:04:45 PM »
time to get the avalanche rail back out .....wait purple missile incident never mind

Sachys

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »
11,250 m/s...which is roughly equal to Erth's escape velocity...wheeee!!!!

is that the noise you make when travelling at that speed?!

ErthParadine

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 02:39:26 AM »
11,250 m/s...which is roughly equal to Erth's escape velocity...wheeee!!!!

is that the noise you make when travelling at that speed?!

wheeee!!!!