BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: COMPETITION: New Starter Ship  (Read 1949 times)

ErthParadine

COMPETITION: New Starter Ship
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
PROBLEM:The stock starter ship is basically a coffin with thrusters.

SOLUTION:Build a new starter ship, and win the popular vote! Add at least one exterior and one interior screenshot of your design to this thread.

VOTING:Vote by clicking the thumbs-up/thumbs-down button of your favorite design. Votes will be tallied, and winner selected, on April 25th.

REWARDS:

1st Place
  • Design credits in the ship display.
  • One complete station blueprint, of your choosing (station storage must be empty).

Runner-ups
There's a LOT of good designs coming out. I'd like to see these types of ships more readily available in the universe, and flying around more often. Please comment in this thread on ideas for runner-up rewards.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:56:00 AM by ErthParadine »

Captainairspeed

Re: COMPETITION: New Starter Ship
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
is this too big???
I'll get around to doing It later right now I'm doing something else

Nocturna

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »
Simply industrial ship. Made by impression on Starside Castel LPE.

Captainairspeed

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
ok this is my entry into the completion its called the Tabre Scout and has a quad salvager array with 100% cannon slave radar jammer small cabin with a bed 6.5k of storage and has reasonable thrust and rotation its not that detailed but its functional and works well as a small littler starter ship also I call dibs on being the first to finish there entry :-3

Sachys

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:01:14 AM »
no mass guide or anything?!

ErthParadine

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:08:39 AM »
no mass guide or anything?!

If you think noobs need Galactica sized ships...and if everyone votes for it...meh.

Sachys

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 12:03:42 PM »

If you think noobs need Galactica sized ships...

Nobody needs those!

Same as nobody needs a hummer.

Sachys

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
UGH! I forgot about this

Captainairspeed

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
as I'm the only entry do I win by default???

Sachys

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
as I'm the only entry do I win by default???

noct also entered

ErthParadine

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Don't forget to VOTE (click on the thumbs up/down buttons).

Saa

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »
INDISTAR V.1.4
The Indistar is an Industrial Starter ship based on the principal that what new players need most is mobility and earning potential. The best defense for small ships is running like hell (ever since they buffed missile speed, thereby mostly breaking Point Defense) so it's fast and light. I don't see handing new players a warship as likely to result in good outcomes for them, but this will let them earn enough in 30-60 minutes to buy a decent small warship from any existing faction with a shipyard near spawn (if there are any. I haven't seen any ship-sellers selling small warships near spawn yet.).

The Indistar is a fantastic light miner & light cargo ship able to handle any small industrial job from trade, to shipping, general mining and building small stations. It can serve as a passable exploration & scouting ship as well, especially with some mods like expanded jump capacity. It has plenty of interior and semi-enclosed spaces for Role-Playing, but is not burdened with huge amounts of pointless empty space. It has zero function as an offensive or defensive military ship because it would require double the mass to even fight Isanths while burdened with a full hold, and that seems like more an intermediate ship than a starter. If attacked, the Indistar must flee immediately, as it is a civilian vessel.

• Under 500 mass, 2.5:1 thrust:mass ratio
  • ~10K shields, very light armor, radar jammer
  • Excellent little cannon-slaved spot-mining array yields $1m worth of ore in 5-10 minutes of asteroid mining (tested).
  • 37-second jump charge (probably this ship's weakest point)
  • 45K mass cargo hold slaved to salvage system, rail docker, and docking rail for fully-functional cargo interface depending on auto-pull status
  • Attractive "rough industrial" appearance
  • Medical center
  • Sleeping quarters
  • Cargo Hold
  • Decorative Bridge/Command
  • Comes with a docked astrotech repair pod
  • Blinky-light tech

I will dock a model at spawn with open doors so players can have a look.

If anyone wants to test-fly one they can, but only when Erth is on so I can get it re-spawned if it gets broken on a test flight since its a demo for the nuggets, not a ship for me.

Captainairspeed

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »
oh yeah I forgot about noct so who wins as I don't think either of us got votes :P

TheGeek007

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
EDIT: the thumbs up/down didn't work for me earlier. I suggest we use a poll instead.

Whoops, nearly forgot to enter my ship: The YT-1300 Corellian Freighter, the most famous one being the Millennium Falcon. This ship perfect for adventurers just getting their first start into the galaxy.

This ship features a fast jump drive (so you can make the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs!), two overdriven laser turrets, working boarding ramp and "landing gear", and two docking rings for attaching expansion modules, or docking with other vessels.

Model shown with optional mining and extra cargo attachment.

Starboard side docking ring and boarding ramp.

Interior Shot:

Ship stats:
Mass: 372
Shields: 14.5k
Thrust: 476
T/M: 1.2

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:26:52 PM by TheGeek007 »

Saa

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
Looks like there are 5-6 entries for the starter ship at spawn. Sadly, the only players interested in the competition are contestants, and they aren't going to vote for each other.

In order to improve feedback, I suggest that during busy periods, an admin offers some kind of reward to any player who comes to spawn, tours all the ships, and votes for one. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it can be verified whether a player online has voted in the forums or not.

Also, other contestants need to open the doors to their ships so we can look inside. And post their technical specifications. If they want people to know more than what the ship looks like from outside...

spocklin

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:09 PM »
TheGeek007 I like your ship it looks interesting.

Sachys

HRMT Scrapper
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
Not the most amazing ship I've ever made, but...

Has a decent sized salvage rig - full coverage with chessboard rows of 13 long arrays.

Moderate cargo hold (about 21k i think) - small enough to ensure those newbies go BACK TO BASE (a major newbie killer is staying out too long in the field in my book).

Small swarm missiles - enough to handle an isanth.

Lots of turret docking space.

Interior is intended to be RP friendly too with small med bay, workbench, underside hold and passenger seats as well as a rear cargo hold. Airlock door on the USD as well.

Scanner, cloaker, reasonably fast charging jump drive.

OOH SHINY!!! - it has sliding rail "windows" on the cockpit so you can get in and out there.

Mostly hull, so cheap to fix up.

USD and solo rail docking.

It doesnt overdo anything, its not a combat ship. Its a mini miner that can be customised for additional tasks with the turret rails.

Laugh as you want! ;D

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:27:32 PM by Sachys »

ErthParadine

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »
There's a LOT of good designs coming out. I'd like to see these types of ships more readily available in the universe, and flying around more often. I'm open to ideas ideas for runner-up rewards - please suggest.

Sachys

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »
There's a LOT of good designs coming out. I'd like to see these types of ships more readily available in the universe, and flying around more often. I'm open to ideas ideas for runner-up rewards - please suggest.

bump up the main prize with something additional - have that additional prize as a runner up reward (ie free ship up to X size or x-thousand modules or...)

Sachys

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
I've just had a thought - maybe this should run regularly - either bi-monthly or quarterly - that way older entries have another shot (or can be updated), newer players can have a go, and those that didnt bother the previous round can take up the challenge. Should keep things fresh as well - starter ships always end up getting some hate it seems.

ErthParadine

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
I've just had a thought - maybe this should run regularly - either bi-monthly or quarterly - that way older entries have another shot (or can be updated), newer players can have a go, and those that didnt bother the previous round can take up the challenge. Should keep things fresh as well - starter ships always end up getting some hate it seems.

I like this idea, a lot.

ErthParadine

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
Oh, for me...any ship integrating a USD port is going to get major kudos. Drones that auto-unload are also quite nifty.

Oh boy wouldn't that be neat; a tight little hauler, which carries a mining drone fleet that themselves carry some decent anti-pirate and point-defense turrets. Hmm...that's probably too much for a starter ship though.

MacThule

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 06:58:20 PM »

This is a good idea. It also keeps the starter updated as new releases change necessities, and lends itself to improvement over time. Maybe set it for the first of each month?

Sachys

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »
I like this idea, a lot.

probably worth adding then that winners either cannot enter the one following - or - must make an entirely new ship design (i'd think the latter is fairer)

Sachys

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »
Maybe set it for the first of each month?

monthly might be a bit much until the competition gets regular entries (and especially votes) - bi monthly at least allows a months general use and another months feedback / complaints / appraisal for all to "grow" from.

of course, that doesnt stop there being an immediate turnover of the comp after the prior one closes.

maybe even make the last week of the comp purely for votes?! (no more entries)?!?!

MacThule

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »
I like this idea, a lot.

probably worth adding then that winners either cannot enter the one following - or - must make an entirely new ship design (i'd think the latter is fairer)

i don't know if that's necessary; what if the previous ship has been refined and improved in tiny, eloquent ways? let it be entirely up to the players.

Sachys

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
i don't know if that's necessary; what if the previous ship has been refined and improved in tiny, eloquent ways? let it be entirely up to the players.

just a thought, and yes!

ErthParadine

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »
I like this idea, a lot.

Why do I get the feeling I'll be saying this a lot: I'm not a fan of limits.

If someone keeps winning the popular vote, they must be doing something right. More power to 'em!

Sachys

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2016, 12:02:47 AM »

If someone keeps winning the popular vote, they must be doing something right. More power to 'em!

and as you also said you're just here to administrate and leave the direction of the server to the users.
therefore I have made a suggestion people can react to / counterract / ignore etc. thats all.
im interested in fair competition - right now it looks like im in the lead (because a total of... six votes have been cast i think - thats one each and me in the lead by one vote).

Whats to prevent someone rigging results or simply lightly doctoring someone elses design?! nothing right now - only our names as good users.

hence, my suggestion - goes a distance against the latter at least. vote abuse would be admin territory. not mine.

yarp?!  ;)

Sachys

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Final *BUMP*

spocklin

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
There's no poll D:

Sachys

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »
There's no poll D:
vote with dem thumbs innit!

ErthParadine

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 03:52:35 AM »
How To Vote, see image below.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:59:06 AM by ErthParadine »

ErthParadine

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 04:03:03 AM »

and as you also said you're just here to administrate and leave the direction of the server to the users.
therefore I have made a suggestion people can react to / counterract / ignore etc. thats all.
im interested in fair competition - right now it looks like im in the lead (because a total of... six votes have been cast i think - thats one each and me in the lead by one vote).

Whats to prevent someone rigging results or simply lightly doctoring someone elses design?! nothing right now - only our names as good users.

hence, my suggestion - goes a distance against the latter at least. vote abuse would be admin territory. not mine.

yarp?!  ;)

Valid question, but the sky isn't falling yet. Let's start dodging those pieces if they actually start coming at us.

Until then, I believe that simply requiring designs original to a participant, would be Good Enough for the time being. We can address the plagiarism topic if and when it comes up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:16:04 AM by ErthParadine »

MacThule

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
i think that concerns about rewards and plagiarism should be secondary to concerns about innovation and having the best possible starter ship out there.

i'm probably in the minority, but i don't even care if the winner is an modification of a forum download. all i care is that it performs better than the competition and looks at least as good. that said, next time perhaps we should have contestants upload their .sments so that we can actually test their entries in SP before deciding.

Sachys

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
next time perhaps we should have contestants upload their .sments so that we can actually test their entries in SP before deciding.

thats a really good idea actually - would work well with the bi monthly comp as i mentioned before -  allowing for a good week or so of testing before the vote.

ErthParadine

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 06:32:04 AM »
The winner is...

If you think noobs need Galactica sized ships...
Nobody needs those!
Same as nobody needs a hummer.

Yay! Uhh, wait a minute...

Oh, ship votes.

The WINNING design of our new starter ship is: Sachys's HRMT Scrapper! Congratulations Sachys!

There are some amazing designs out here, and seeing these ships flying amongst us would be wonderful. Runner-ups will be selected over the next few days. I contact each pilot regarding rewards once the world reset project is complete. We will also begin a pirate fleet competition on May 1st, stay tuned!

Nocturna

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 07:12:30 AM »
Hail Hermits!

Sachys

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
I thought I replied to this already?!?!

O___o

Oh well, thanks for the votes folks.

Hopefully the next comp will see more entries / more people voting.

I reckon people will also use the other designs if made available.

Captainairspeed

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
nice one Sachea you defiantly deserve the win just make sure you don't leave a brewery onboard for the newbs we don't need people flying around spawn whilst drinking hermits brew

Sachys

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
nice one Sachea you defiantly deserve the win just make sure you don't leave a brewery onboard for the newbs we don't need people flying around spawn whilst drinking hermits brew

Oh, the bar is coming!

MacThule

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:42 PM »
i'm interested in buying a few filled BPs of runner-up ships to sell from the off-spawn ship lot at Port Thule.

PM or F4 me in-game if you want to sell some starter BPs and see new players cruising around in your ship from time to time!

spocklin

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
So who won?

Sachys

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:07 PM »

Sachys

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 11:10:10 PM »
Okay, so I'd like all your opinions / input on this idea (regarding the station i get to spawn in).

http://forums.bitminery.com/index.php?topic=105.0