BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: VOTE: Increase Sector Size?  (Read 497 times)

ErthParadine

VOTE: Increase Sector Size?
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »
Currently sector size is 3,000.

Should we increase sector size?

Main concerns are server stability and overall performance. If you're aware of related issues, please speak up, post links, etc.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 04:00:15 PM by ErthParadine »

spocklin

Re: Increase Sector Size?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
You could probably get away with making it 9000 but I don't think any higher will be better do to lag concerns.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
I think 5000 as it will keep the server relatively stable but will be bigger which means more things for my Trading Faction to collect harvest and build

Nocturna

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:57:46 PM »
9000 km would be good.

spocklin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 01:54:56 AM »
I agree with Nocturna for this one.

ErthParadine

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »
I just added a 9000 option. Enjoy :-)

ErthParadine

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »
I think 5000 as it will keep the server relatively stable but will be bigger which means more things for my Trading Faction to collect harvest and build

I keep hearing of stability issues with larger sectors, but can't find specific information on this. It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to understand the underlying issues - do you have any links?

Darwynn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
i say the sector size is fine as it is.

Sachys

Re: VOTE: Increase Sector Size?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:21:47 PM »
I've only seen improved performance with increased sector sizes actually, so i say make them bigger (and tweak wepons to reflect it - salvagers alone see a massive decrease in client side lag with increased range - at least for me on my toaster!).

spocklin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »
I agree with Sachys on this one.

ErthParadine

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
While voting closes on the 23rd, the direction we're going here is pretty obvious.

I'll be bumping sector size from 3k to 6k at the next server restart. We'll probably go higher, but I'd like to take advantage of this next week's activity to collect some server-side statistics regarding differing sector sizes and how it might change server requirements over time. Over-arching goal here, is to avoiding growing sectors too fast, as it's about the only setting we cannot revert without a universe wipe/reset.

spocklin

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
I think that changing the sector size will definitely help to mitigate the fleet collisions because when the sector size is 3km and you have a massive fleet and send it to a sector they inevitably try to fit into the same sector causing collision errors.

Streithund

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:57 AM »
Whatever we go with, systems should have proportional range.
In other words, when measured in sectors, they should have same range before and after update.

ErthParadine

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 01:13:50 AM »
I've also been chatting with Schine - there's a way to easily export valued entities (e.g. stations, ships, etc), and re-import them after a map reset, without any apparent negative effects. I'd just need to know what sectors you wanted saved.

So, world resets are not near as painful as they were in the past.

If/when we need to consider that option. I'll ask for the necessary info. Until then, we'll keep feeding info to Schine so that they can debug what's up further.

TheGeek007

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
I'm somewhat conflicted on this. Many things depend on sector sizes, especially weapons ranges.

On one hand, beams get a big boost in range that increases their usefulness. However, this means missiles are essentially infinite range, as if you can see it, you can shoot it. Also, AMS effectiveness is reduced as cannon range increases past what it can reliably hit. Cannon-based drones move to their maximum range, and with longer reliably hit small targets at that range.

I guess the tl;dr version is, if we increase sector size, we should adjust weapons as their range is dependent on how big sectors are.

My ideal weapons setup would be:
Beam range: 3-5 km (beam ranges have always abysmally short)
Cannon range: 3-5 km (cannons can't reliably hit past a certian point, and shorter cannon range buffs AMS)
Missile range: 1 sector (Missiles are so good overall, if you can sit 3 sectors away and snipe, all battles will be all missiles all the time)

ErthParadine

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
I'm somewhat conflicted on this. Many things depend on sector sizes, especially weapons ranges.

On one hand, beams get a big boost in range that increases their usefulness. However, this means missiles are essentially infinite range, as if you can see it, you can shoot it. Also, AMS effectiveness is reduced as cannon range increases past what it can reliably hit. Cannon-based drones move to their maximum range, and with longer reliably hit small targets at that range.

I guess the tl;dr version is, if we increase sector size, we should adjust weapons as their range is dependent on how big sectors are.

My ideal weapons setup would be:
Beam range: 3-5 km (beam ranges have always abysmally short)
Cannon range: 3-5 km (cannons can't reliably hit past a certian point, and shorter cannon range buffs AMS)
Missile range: 1 sector (Missiles are so good overall, if you can sit 3 sectors away and snipe, all battles will be all missiles all the time)

I don't believe there's a way to adjust weapon ranges. Although we can (and have) already increased AI accuracy to 99%@8km.