BitMinery Forums

Author Topic: VOTE: Ban Brickneughts?  (Read 450 times)

spocklin

VOTE: Ban Brickneughts?
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:08:10 AM »
I suggest we ban bricknaughts from the server entirely. This is because a giant brick of systems tends to be very laggy especially when they are 100k+ mass. A bricknaught is a ship that has a very large amount of systems in massive arrays and looks like a brick.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:30:24 PM by ErthParadine »

ErthParadine

Re: Brickneughts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 05:14:26 AM »
I suggest we ban bricknaughts from the server entirely. This is because a giant brick of systems tends to be very laggy especially when they are 100k+ mass. A bricknaught is a ship that has a very large amount of systems in massive arrays and looks like a brick.

I've added a poll, and voted :-)

spocklin

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:32:03 AM »
I just think specifically giant floating bricks of systems and no design is kind of bad for server performance.

Nocturna

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:06:49 AM »
Why lags? They are ugly, and of course it's seems a trolling

Joelbrisco

Re: VOTE: Ban Brickneughts?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Any large ship lags and it does not matter if it is a brick or not so that is a rather mute point. As for being ugly? Ya they are. But for taking damage from enemy fire? They are horrible are you're getting maximum surface area for any missiles or cannons that you can. So really, killing bricks is a lot more easy than other ships.

TheGeek007

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 06:01:38 PM »
"deathcubes" are lazy builds and generally are ineffective and ugly. I'd vote to get rid of them.

But on the other hand, they are fairly easy to kill.

Borg Cubes are an exception, as long as they actually look like a borg cube.

Sachys

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
Borg Cubes are an exception, as long as they actually look like a borg cube.

Only if they actually assimilate.

Otherwise theyre just bricks.

Its not 1987 anymore!

spocklin

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
The problem is people will have lots of bricknaughts and they do tend to lag more than other ships that are more efficiently built. Systems piled on top of each other in massive arrays will cause massive lag. For example having a massive jump drive brick will inevitably lag most people out of the game. Don't even get me started with the lag caused by a bricknaught hitting something as the server has to sort out the collision report which is made much harder with massive systems all piled together trying to do different things at the same time during the collision.

Sachys

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »
that combined with vote for credits just equals a bad setup.
you get a titan together by mining, designing, you earn it. you probably use it wisely as well.

Saa

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:45 PM »
Wait... are you suggesting banning ships based on appearance?

I notice you aren't concerned about a ship with 300K mass of systems in huge arrays as long as it doesn't look like a brick. I could be reading it wrong, but if I understand it correctly to be about appearance/design style rather than about mass, then this proposal is arbitrary and self-dealing (I'm assuming you, yourself, design excellent looking ships).

Now of you just want to set a 100K mass limit for ships of all decorative styles, then I 110% support you. If you're trying to get a high mass limit for ships designed the way you like to design, and a lower limit for ships designed in styles you don't like to build in, then I strongly oppose this idea. It would basically be a tool for you to righteously demand removal of any ship of a peerage with yours on the basis of style, all in the name of "protecting the server."

spocklin

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:19 AM »
Well no I think it more has to do with the whole massive floating lagfests that are bricknaughts. You can make a big ship with massive arrays as long as it's not all in the same spot as it does cause lag as I have seen on here and other servers. I don't want to discriminate build styles but the massive brick ships that are only systems, no hull, armor or anything else just systems needs to go.

ErthParadine

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 02:10:24 AM »
I really don't understand the continued fascination with high-mass ships. We've had multiple ~8Mil mass ships flying around without issue.

Issues emerge when there's an obscene number of docked entities, and then they start undocking because such ships typically lose battles, and therefore their docked entities start falling off.

I'm mostly OK with fugly ships, but when blocks are used to such an extent that they're essentially useless for the ship, that's basically the same as using aspects of a game in unintended ways, which is a textbook griefer definition.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:15:50 AM by ErthParadine »

Saa

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
Agreed.

Extremely high-mass, high-docking ships look more like an exploit than attempt to play in the way they are used as well. Players keep them docked until someone angers them, then basically come sit on that person's base, crushing them with lag from both the ship and avalanche of beam & missile renderings. There's no intent or capacity to destroy the homebase, just the intent to ruin play for the victim.

Anything with over 200 docked entities is not likely to be useful except as a lag weapon. Super-giant ships (over 300K mass) are also likely to lag most (though not all) players if there is anything else of size within view. Such entities do not even allow most players to attack them, they are defended by a meta-aegis of lag and broken turrets/logic.

Joelbrisco

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
I would agree with Saa, not allowing ships that you personally don't like is rather dumb. Long and short run a brick vs any other ship design works the same way. They don't cause more lag or less lag than any ship of a equal size. This entire issue is really down to as "You're trying to get a high mass limit for ships designed the way you like to design, and a lower limit for ships designed in styles you don't like to build in"

ErthParadine

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
I agree on not banning because of aesthetics alone: I don't want to be a judge of what "looks" good or not (my ships look like crap). Although just clumping large quantities of lag-prone blocks (and/or docked/undocked entities) together, is not respecting the game design's intended purposes (e.g. module placement strategy). Such things are a griefer tactic, and that's not OK in these parts.

Call it what you want: doom cube, death cube, bricknaught. They're all not welcome here.

This is a decent discussion on the topic: https://starmadedock.net/threads/is-this-a-doom-cube.4195/

Sachys

Re: Bricknaught Graveyard
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 02:21:25 AM »

Edit: thinking we actually need a "NO building at spawn" type rule. - make a "100 sectors" kinda rule instead
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:24:23 AM by Sachys »

Sir_Rob_DSM

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 05:54:22 AM »
paradine at my hq is a ship ( scout ) that's reactor blocks,  Another player has called it a brick Its a "cloak" and anything added = mass...

"miner" is currently being built and I will prob take it apart and rebuild again....

can cloaks be exluded from this brick thread ?

Jackiechan64

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
Are we going to have a ship size limit soon or spme criteria for how big we can make systems for ships before they become bricknaughts?