Author Topic: what?  (Read 137 times)

spocklin

what?
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »
what is this?

KillaKrazy

Re: what?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
Sounds like a new server.  Maybe one without the ridiculous mining bonus?

spocklin

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 01:04:05 AM »
I think it's another game.

ErthParadine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
It is...

wait for it....

BOTH!

Years ago, BitMinery was launched as a Minecraft world with IRL bitcoin tie-ins. However with a mass Bukkit (mod software) developer exodus...this project was set-aside while waiting for dust to settle, and while I chased distractions IRL, and StarMade.

At this point, I'm setting a stage where we'll have multiple game platforms to choose from: bringing back a modded Minecraft, keeping StarMade running (and improving PAFKA), while also exploring what's possible with Avorion. Avorion is fairly new to the scene, however, it very nicely uses a voxel and open-world concept to tie-in a lot of plusses from my favorite games, including Minecraft, StarMade, EVE, Elite, OOLite, and Vendetta Online. Performance has proven spectacular...in-fact we already have a server running: install the latest beta, and look for "SpaceBits" in the public server list.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:03:28 PM by ErthParadine »

ErthParadine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
Just to give an idea of what Avorion means...this has no lag, and dozens of decent NPCs interacting with complicated weapon systems...and yea, those are all minable asteroids...a few thousand in this system alone. There's over a million systems to fly amongst; via warpgates, truly realistic wormholes, and on-ship hyperdrive. There's complicated system design, and the stations + ships are all built with blocks, which you can vary in size and style. Everything is procedurally generated, so you're often finding new ship and station designs. Shields work nicely, as does collision damage...things break apart; ships and stations can really break in half.

So-far the server has supported ~15 players at once, with Z.E.R.O. lag, plenty of boss battles, LOTS of mining, and warping/jumping around.

Admins cannot take things from players, and blueprints are your own to keep...however you can save/blueprint ships and sell them yourself if you wanted. The player-to-player trade mechanic is via email...you can email things to others across the galaxy (a bit weird, but a nice tool for trade). Admins are basically limited to giving things away, or warping players around...a very nice touch! There's an active mod community, with a developer-supported API...I'm still evaluating what mods we might use.

Anyways, I could go on...but, you really need to throw $15 at the beta access, and jump in :-)

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.10.12 AM.png
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:21:24 PM by ErthParadine »

KillaKrazy

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:19:41 PM »
Don't really want to spend $18 dollars on another half-baked space sim like StarMade.  How is the ship building compared to SM, because honestly that is the only thing SM has going for it.

ErthParadine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Don't really want to spend $18 dollars on another half-baked space sim like StarMade.  How is the ship building compared to SM, because honestly that is the only thing SM has going for it.

I hear you on the $18 dollar concern. However, with ~200,000 StarMade sales, at what price...and devs still can't be bothered to buy enough hardware for testing on "supported" platforms?

Anyways, if StarMade were even half-baked, then Avorion could be fairly considered as nearly complete...even though they still have a lot more planned.

As for what you can do. You can actually make things round, which seems a bit rare for blocky games. These screenshots better illustrate things; they're NOT just concept art. These are functional in-game ships, with practical applications: http://steamcommunity.com/app/445220/screenshots/